The Kay Family Association UK

Bury before 1700

The map of 17th and 18th century Lancashire shows clearly the concentration of Kays in Bury. This page looks at Bury itself, dividing the data between the six townships that made up the parish. It only looks at the 17th century at present, but the aim is to extend it.

The data is taken from two sources:

  • The registers of the parish church of St Mary the Virgin between 1591 and 1698. Just over half the entries give a place of origin, often the name of the farm or road where the person lived. We’ve had to be careful about the entries that use just ‘Bury’ – did they mean them parish or the township? The assumption made is that in birth and death entries, it was the township, but a value judgement was made on each marriage entry.
  • The Hearth Tax Assessments of the 1660s and 1670s. There are 4 of them in all, from which we’ve extracted the Kay households liable to the tax. They were not always consistent about the split across townships – Elton and Bury are combined on one of them, and Walmersley and Shuttleworth on two – so the figures shown here are an average derived from them. The 1664 Assessment also listed households that were exempt from the tax; for the sake of consistency, these are not included, though they would have added about half as much again to the figures.

You can use the radio buttons under the Key to switch between the two.

Edenfield Ramsbottom Tottington Walmersley Bury
Boundaries based on data from the Lancashire Archives
Key
Analysis
Entries
Hearth Tax

The map speaks for itself. Of all those Kays who lived in the parish of Bury, nearly half of them lived in the township of Walmersley. Significantly, they were concentrated within the manor of Bury.

Note
The boundaries of the townships are derived from data at the Lancashire Archives – a copy of the Ordnance Survey (1845-1848) which had been marked up with the townships, and a detailed plan of the Manor of Bury made in about 1785 (DDK Unclassified Box 5). Unlike the Ordnance Survey, the estate plan put all land to the west of the River Irwell in the township of Elton, and that is what we’ve used here.